||Dean & Head Surgery Department, PMC
Professor of Surgery,
Director of Surgical Training, RCSI
Honorary Consultant Surgeon, Penang Hospital
Visiting Consultant Surgeon, Adventist Medical Centre, Penang
Internal Examiner in Surgery, Penang International Dental College
Professor Premnath studied Medicine at the Kasturba Medical College and graduated with a medical degree conferred by the University of Mysore in 1980. After his internship at Penang Hospital he was the Regimental Medical Officer for the 19th Royal Malay Regiment of the Royal Malaysian Armed Forces. He has a Diploma in Aviation Medicine from the School for Aerospace Medicine, Brookes USAF Base, Texas where he was attached in 1983. He subsequently served as a Senior Medical Officer/Flight Surgeon at the RMAF/RAAF base in Butterworth before being posted back to Penang Hospital in 1986.
He obtained his Fellowship from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1990. He was the Visiting Fellow at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh and City Hospital, Edinburgh from 1993-1995, before returning to Penang Hospital, where he served as a Consultant General & Thoracic surgeon. He joined the Department of Surgery at PMC in 2004 and is a Visiting Consultant at the Department of Surgery, Penang Hospital where he conducts his clinical practice. He has examined in several undergraduate and postgraduate surgical examinations for RCSI since 1999 as well as for PMC. As Director of the RCSI Surgical Training Office at PMC he also conducts courses and examinations for RCSI and is involved in postgraduate surgery training programmes with Penang Hospital, RCSI and PMC. He is a Chairman, Thoracic Surgery Chapter of the National Specialist Register, (Surgery) Academy of Medicine, Malaysia and a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. In 2016, he was also appointed Dean of Penang Medical College.
- DipAvMed- USAF
- Oesophageal Disease
- Surgical Nutrition
- Regional Representative, College of Surgeons of Malaysia
- Thoracic Surgery Training Supervisor, Ministry of Health, Malaysia
- National Specialist Register (NSR), Chairman Thoracic Subspecialty Accreditation Committee
- International Advisory Board, The Surgeon
- Regional Advisory Board, Manipal Alumni Science & Health (MASH) Journal
- Advisor, Society of Surgeons, Penang.
- Member of Law Tribunal Committee, Penang
- Expandable Metallic Stent on Stent for Cardio-Esophageal Junction Tumor. TeoJKH, Narasimman S, Premnath N. Scientific Meeting, College of Surgeons, Kuala Lumpur. May 2013
- Self Expandable Metallic Stent on Stent for CardioOesophageal Junction Tumour. Teo TJH,
Narasimman S, Premnath N. College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting, KL. May 2013.
- Quality of Life of Gastric Cancer Patients in Penang General Hospital Six Months Post-
Gastrectomy – Res Ipsa Loquitor, R Hassan, Michael A, Narasimman S, Tan WJ, Premnath N, CSAMM 2014, Kuching, Malaysia.
- Post Operative Vomiting Proves fatal. A rare case of Boerhaave’s Syndrome. Arivani, Sivaneswaran, Rajkumar, Umasangar, Premnath. CSAMM 2015, Malaysia.
- Extramammary Paget’s Disease of the Scrotum with Skeletal Metastases – A Case Report:
Arivarni K, Sivaneswaran L, Umasangar R, Premnath N. CSAMM 2015, Malaysia.
- 2-Stage Diagnostic Laparoscopy (DSL) in Gastric Cancer and Esophagogastric Junction Cancer: Penang General Hospital Experience. Kelvin V, SY Lim, HS Boo, Premnath N. Penang Surgical Symposium. July 2016. Korea International Gastric Cancer Week 2016. 6th Asia Pacific Gastroesophageal Cancer Congress.
- Coexistence of Infiltrating Ductal carcinoma (IDC ) and Phylloides Tumour ( PT ). CI Chiar,
KB Neogh, CH Lee, L Sivaneswaran, R Umasangar, Premnath N. Penang Surgical Symposium. July 2016.
- D2 Gastrectomies for Gastric Adenocarcinoma: A Local Regional Hospital Experience. HS Boo,
SY Lim, K Voon, Premnath N. Penang Surgical Symposium. July 2016. Korea International Gastric Cancer Week 2016. 6th Asia Pacific Gastroesophageal Cancer Congress.
- Gastric Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumour ( GIST ) with Synchronous Lung Adenocarcinoma,
Urinary Bladder Transitional Cell carcinoma and Adrenal Adenoma -A Case Report. HS Boo,
Kelvin V, SY Lim, Premnath N. Penang Surgical Symposium. July 2016. Korea International Gastric Cancer Week 2016. 6th Asia Pacific Gastroesophageal Cancer Congress.
- Ileal Dieulefoy A Rare case of Massive Lower Gastrointestinal Bleed. Low JQL, See BK, Leow YC, Sivaneswaran L, Umasangar R, Premnath N. Penang Surgical Symposium. July 2016.
- Managing Oesophageal Strictures When All Fails, Oesophagectomy Prevails. BK See, Low JQL,
CH Chan, Sivaneswaran L, Umasangar R, Premnath N. Penang Surgical Symposium. July 2016.
- Evolution in the Management on Esophageal Perforation: A Single Centre Experience. CB Ng, Karthikeswaran, Voon Kelvin, WJ Tan, SY Lim, Premnath N. Journal for Diseases of the Oesophagus Sept 2016. Vol 29.
- Coexistence of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (GIST) With Other Malignancies: A Single
Center Experience. Viknesh S, Kelvin V, Munish, SY Lim, Premnath N. 12th International Gastric Cancer Conference, 20-23 April,2017. Beijing.
- Primary malignant melanoma of the esophagus: A Case Report. Karthikeashvaren S, Kelvin V,
SY Lim, Premnath N. 12 th International Gastric Cancer Conference,20-23 April,2017. Beijing.
- Radical Gastrectomy in Elderly: Perioperative and Survival Outcomes of Penang Hospital.
Kelvin V, Vicknesh S, Munish, Karthikeashvaren S, SY Lim, Premnath N. 12th International Gastric
Cancer Conference. 20-23 April, 2017. Beijing.
- Challenges in Managing Esophageal Adenocarcinoma in Pregnancy: A Case Report
Viknesh S, Kelvin V, Munish, SY Lim, Premnath N. 12 th International Gastric Cancer Conference,
20-23 April,2017. Beijing.