- Study with Us
- International Students
- Student Life
- About Us
|Associate Professor in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Dr Sivakumar S Balakrishnan graduated from University Sains Malaysia in 1993 with an MD. He completed his internship in Hospital Ipoh, Perak in 1994 and then was posted to hospitals in East Malaysia (Sarawak).He then commenced his Masters in O&G training in University Malaya and completed his training in 2000.
He started his specialist in O&G in Hospital SultanahAminah, Johor Bahru, and Johor. After one and half years, Dr Sivakumar returned to Penang to work in Penang Hospital (2001), where he continued to work as a specialist in the O&G department.At this time he also started teaching at Penang Medical College.
In the year 2005 he commenced his subspecialty training in the field of Urogynaecology. His training included a one-year attachment in James Cook University in Townsville, Queensland, Australia under the renowned Prof Ajay Rane. He returned to Penang Hospital and continued his training for another year. In the January 2008 he was recognized as a Consultant Urogynaecologist, and continued to provide services to the population of Penang as well as the northern region of Malaysia.
He is also involved in training new Urogynaecology subspecialty trainees.
He joined the Penang Medical College in August 2012 as a Senior Lecturer in O&G to continue his interest in teaching as well as research in the field of Urogynaecology. Dr Sivakumar is currently a member of the National Urogynaecology subcommittee under the Ministry of Health overseeing the training and development of the Urogynaecology subspecialty.
He is also the founding secretary of the Malaysian Urogynaecology Society. He is a member of the International Urogynaecology Association and is currently serving in the IUGA Exchange training committee.
1. The Use of Cabergoline for Prevention of Lactation (S Balakrishnan, R Subramanium, T Chow, P Chia) Journal of Irish College of Physicians and Surgeons; Vol 31; No 4, October 2002, Pg 216-218.
2. Sling distress: A subanalysis of the IVS tapes from the SUSPEND trial. Sling distress: a subanalysis of the IVS tapes from the SUSPEND trial. Balakrishnan S, Lim YN, Barry C, Corstiaans A, Kannan K, Rane A. Australia New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2007: 47: 496-498 (PMID: 17991116
3. Ambulatory gynaecology and Urogynaecology procedures: a Viable option. K Kannan,A.Kasper, S Balakrishnan A Rane. Australia and New Zealand Continence Journal Vol 14 No 2 38-42, 2008
4. Prospective evaluation of the safety and efficacy of the Apogee system for treatment of vault prolapse. Balakrishnan S, Lim YN, Barry C, Corstians A, Kannan K, Rane A. J of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2008 Aug, 28(6)618-620 PMID: 19003658
5. Prospective study of the Perigee system for the management of cystocoeles–medium-term follow up. Rane A, Kannan K, Barry C, Balakrishnan S, Lim Y, Corstiaans A. Australia New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2008: 48(4): 427-432 PMID: 18837851
6. Transobturator mesh for cystocele repair: a short- to medium-term follow-up using 3D/4D ultrasound. Shek KL, Dietz HP, Rane A, Balakrishnan S. Ultrasound Obstetetrics and Gynaecology 2008, Jul 32(1) 82-86 PMID: 18543373
7. Recurrent non-absorbable suture erosion into the bladder after a Pereyra neck suspension. Kannan, K., Balakrishnan, S., Kasper, A., Corstiaans, A., and Rane, A. (2009) Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 29 (4). pp. 352-353. PMID: 19835510