- Study with Us
- International Students
- Student Life
- About Us
|Associate Professor of Psychiatry
Contact Details: Penang Medical College, 4 Jalan Sepoy Lines, 10450 Penang, Malaysia
Ph no : 06042263459 (office)
I am actively involved in the teaching and assessment program in psychiatry at Penang Medical College. I am also committed in curriculum development and research work at Penang Medical College. My clinical work in psychiatry is based at Penang General Hospital and Hospital Bukit Mertajam.
After obtaining my medical degree from India in the year 1988, I was posted as house officer and medical officer at different hospitals in Malaysia. I joined the Masters in Psychological Medicine program at University Malaya in the year 1995 and completed in the year 1999. I worked as a clinical psychiatrist at University Hospital Kuala Lumpur for a short period before joining the Department of Psychiatry, Penang Medical College in the year 2000. Currently I am holding the post of Associate Professor of Psychiatry.
I am involved in the following organization:
|1983-1988||Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India|
|MBBS ( Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery )|
|1995- 1999||University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|MPM ( Masters of Psychological Medicine )|
1)Cross cultural Narratives of Death and Bereavement among Medical Students – implications for curricula development. Bharathy A, Pillay R, Russell V. 17th Malaysian Conference on Psychological Medicine, June 2012 Kuala Lumpur & 10th Asia Pacific Medical Education Conference , January 2013 Singapore
2) A social interaction program in an NGO based mental health association in Penang: A qualitative study of patients and caregivers’ experience. Bharathy A, Teh D. 9th Perak Mental Health Convention, October 2012 Ipoh
3) Medical students participation in a social interaction program for people with mental illness and their carers: a qualitative study. Bharathy A, Foo PL. 15th Johor Mental Health Convention, July 2013 & 11th Asia Pacific Medical Education Conference ,Singapore in January 2014
4)Medical students’ perception of a film to promote psychiatry as career choice , Vasudevan U, Bharathy A, Russell V. 11th Asia Pacific Medical Education Conference, Singapore in January 2014
5) A Study of Adolescent Parasuicides : Their demographic characteristics, recent stressors and preceding events prior to the suicide attempt. Bharathy A, Hanim A. 2nd Asia Pacific Conference on Psychotherapy, April 2000 Langkawi
6) A Study of Psychiatrically Hospitalized Students at University Hospital, Kuala Lumpur . Bharathy A, Hanim A .7th Congress of Asean Federation for Psychiatry and Mental Health, December 1998 Kuala Lumpur.
1) Medical students’ perception of the learning environment in PMC. Bharathy A, Russell V, Jun Min K
–current research in collaboration with National University of Singapore.
2) Improving the monitoring of metabolic risk in people treated with antipsychotic medication. Siva S, Arif N, Russell V, Bharathy A, Vasudevan U, Panikulam J
–current research with Department of Psychiatry and Clinical Research Centre, Penang Hospital.
1)Cross cultural Narratives of Death and Bereavement among Medical Students – implications for curricula development. Bharathy A, Pillay R, Russell V . International Journal of Medical Education. 2013 ; 4 : 68-74
2)Changing undergraduate attitudes to mental illness. BharathyA, Pei-Lynn F, Russell V. – accepted for publication in Clinical Teacher
3)Medical students’ perception of a film to promote psychiatry as career choice , Vasudevan U, Bharathy A, Russell V.- accepted for publication In Australasian Psychiatry